Blackball Museum of Working Class History open day

Today was fabulous. Quite a few people came out to Blackball and spent time reading the history boards, looking at the exhibits and watching a film. It is no longer a pie in the sky dream project but a resource for everybody to learn about and celebrate the stories and struggles of working people.
I did take my camera and I have run out of battery juice and I have lost my battery charger so no photos of today. What I do now have though, are some fabulous, fabulous photos of the May Day opening (two weeks ago). Thank you Jo Edgar, you are a wonderful photographer.

The march from the Community Centre to the Memorial building. I love the backdrop of rain cloud and blue sunshine and a little mist, all together. That's what it often looks like in Blackball.The woman holding her baby is the very skilled worker of the cross stitch banner. I apologise for not remembering her name, but she is one of the Christchurch Anarchists.
Jose Garcia, the Cuban Ambassador, speaking at the opening ceremony. I enjoyed his speech and learnt that Cuba provides a lot of doctors to small Pacific Island countries.



People looking at the billboards. These are open to the public 24 hours and 7 days a week.
Today I watched a film on the Kinleigh Strike in 1977, when forestry workers in the middle North Island formed their own separate union in response to being sold out by their union leader. I knew nothing about it previously, and enjoyed it greatly. It appeared to be original footage, made as events actually happened.
Then I got home and found some meat thawing in the sink. Favourite Handyman had thought about dinner in advance. So I had home made dinner, at our home, cooked for me for the second night running. Everybody ate it. Wiener schnitzel, pasta, green salad and carrots.
Perfect weekend.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

McCalls 7288 & altered Style Arc Barb pants

Livingstone daisies

Heartburn & Paris Etc