Endless warming potions & The Clothes on Their Backs

I'm now ten days into Laksme's regime of cleansing the deep seated virus. The virus which possibly seeped into my bones when I was a not more than a tot, with ear infections, the antibiotic amoxil as a fourth food group and a pile of operations for good measure. The one which manifested itself in various forms over the years when an outlet seemed necessary: bells palsy after I finished my second degree and travelling rheumatoid arthritis after I had my second child. Padded out with a general disposition towards nasty winter flus over the decades.

All a hypothesis, but not a ridiculous one from my viewpoint.

So, a lot of apple cider vinegar. I have learnt to tolerate some black strap molasses as well - about a quarter of a teaspoon per day so far. I had been having a spoonful of acv in a glass of water and noticing some classic detox signs like nasty acne the first few days. That has cleared though, as has the rash I had before I started this acv lark. It has definitely changeed my appetite, and now I eat three more modest meals per day with minimal snacks. I've even gone 'off' alcohol. Crikey. I have today upped my intake of acv to two tablespoons in a glass of water with some honey to help it go down. I have tried it with a bit of molasses but that version tastes extremely medicinal (translation: vile). I've also been taking coconut oil a couple of times per day. Really, I'm due to start bouncing around like one of The Wiggles any day now.

This is particularly narcissistic, going on about my ills and supposed cures. But more food stuff anyway. I had read about paw paw (also known as papaya) containing good amounts of magnesium but the dried stuff is very sugary. Today we found a fresh one in the supermarket (I didn't even look where it came from, presumably somewhere much warmer than Wetville) and had some after dinner, Fionn and I. Very nice.

I found this recipe for detoxing heavy metals today. Tonight, without the actual recipe to bog me down with what I don't have, I made a smaller batch, that involved:

garlic
sunflower seeds
almonds
brazil nuts
basil
coriander (an expensive supermarket packet - only way to get fresh leaves atm)
juice of a lemon

all whizzed up and then I mixed in some olive oil. No doubt flax seed oil would be better, but I didn't remember that bit.

It tastes nice, and is already on Favourite Handyman's sandwiches for tomorrow. (oh yes. devoted wife indeed).

I made apple/celery/carrot juice with a lot of ginger this morning. That had the desired warming effect. I'm still coughing up gunk a lot, really a lot. I guess it has to pass sometime. This warming food thing, and an understanding of what is meant by me having a damp cold body, is starting to make more sense. Fishpond sent me an email telling me that Paul Pitchford's Healing with Whole Foods will be in my letterbox this coming Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, so after that, I expect I shall speak of nothing else ad nauseum.

But for the moment, I can speak of other books, specifically Linda Grant's novel The Clothes on their Backs, which I loved this week just gone. Apart from being a great read, it also brought to mind the same unsettling possibility that I had considered after reading the Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian (which I nearly said was by Monica Lewinsky but for the benefit of not confusing famous fellatio with a funny book on the effect of brutal regimes and sociology, it is by Marina Lewycka). Is left wing liberalism merely the product of a pampered existence, of the absence of Darwinian imperatives such as those survivors of brutal, repressive regimes had to use?

That is a dratted, difficult question. I think that Linda Grant is wonderful and may just have to beg the library to buy some more of her books. She has a blog and writes for the Guardian. I admire this article on the Gaza aid flotilla last month a very great deal.

We've had some warmer days recently and the garden is beginning to move towards Spring. We have snowdrops out, plus some borage flowers, more calendulas and part of the rhubarb has gone to seed. One of my kale plants is just going to seed and after last year's experience, I know to eat all the leaves now. I've put some maori potatoes saved from last year in the shed to sprout. There are three garlic shoots showing in the garden. I hope the rest follow soon.

Comments

Anonymous said…
[color=#cc3300]Nice post! thank you for sharing this information. lettersfromwetville.blogspot.com really got under my
[/color] [url=http://nuscin-online.info]skin,[/url] [color=#cc3300]bookmarked... Keep up the great site...[/color]

Popular posts from this blog

McCalls 7288 & altered Style Arc Barb pants

Livingstone daisies

Heartburn & Paris Etc