Armscye shapes & A Love Story

This weekend I managed to sew up some beautiful princess seams on McCalls 7288.  Shame that I sewed them inside out.  So now the inside of the fabric is the outside.  I wasn't redoing those seams, particularly as I suspected that undoing them would cause problematic stretching of the fabric.  Progress has continued apace, though just now, as I assessed whether I had anything that would photograph usefully (All that black half sewn fabric?  No.), it occurred to me that it might look like  dressing gown.  I'm currently wearing my other black jacket/cardigan which has been compared to a dressing gown before.

Still,  Something I learned.  The Curvy Sewing Collective has a facebook group and the discussion on there is often useful.  Today someone posted this comment (It is a group with 14 000 members and I took out the identifying details, so I think I'm okay to post):
This potentially explains a lot.  I've mucked around with FBAs until I dream of them, but not made progress with why the shape just above my bust at the armscye is usually wrong.  I'm going to try drawing the FBA line higher in future and see what happens.

In other news, I can't be thinking about maths all the time (plus, the placement of the slash-and-spread line above is maths of a kind).  Really, I have to think about beautiful things like this writing.  'A Love Story' by Samantha Hunt is my first exposure to her writing and I loved it.  I wish I had been able to read it when my babies were young, especially the first one.  How does she capture what motherhood does to our sense of self and perception of the world around us?  She definitely achieved it for me.


Also, Tina Makareti's Stories Can Save Your Life is beautiful and I think her call for action to build a wharenui for all our Pacific stories is important.  


Then I found that Stella Duffy had a new novel last year called London Lies Beneath (and another one already this year), and that I still hadn't bought Elsa Morante's History: A Novel but given I've been buying more fabric quite recently, plus more undergarments (there could be a post about the search for the perfect slip yet), then I had to be so restrained that I didn't buy anything.  I'm not sure that fabric is more important than books, but I have remembered that I have to feed my children before buying fabric or books. 


Comments

Rachael Ayres said…
WOW. What powerful writing.

Popular posts from this blog

McCalls 7288 & altered Style Arc Barb pants

Livingstone daisies

Heartburn & Paris Etc