Miracles

Thank you to everyone who has posted comments of support on this blog and to all my friends who have emailed or sent messages of support on facebook. This morning I thought I was hoping for two miracles. The first was for the men to come out alive. The second was for the media to leave town.

We don't have the first miracle. That dream has gone and it wasn't until I heard the news of the second explosion this evening that I realised I still had real hope of that miracle.

The second miracle would be a wonderful thing. That one is physically possible.

In memory of the 29 men who died down the Pike River Mine, and all their mining brothers who went before them, at Brunner, at Strongman, at Dobson, and throughout the world, I am taking the children for a drive now, to find a church or a beach where we can remember. Lest we forget.

Comments

Corrine said…
The whole country feels the pain.
Marty said…
I was so sorry to hear the news, like you, until then I was hoping even though things looked so grim. Take care of yourselves.
Anonymous said…
I don't have words to help here, am still shocked and crying from a long way away ... perhaps this might be of help : from Mr. Dobbyn:

here’s to your garden here’s to your kids
i heard you were in the neighbourhood
i’ve been a long time on the skids
and baby i’m beside you - you run from the river
when it long ran over you
this is for you standing up to a bone-chilling wind
this is for the failures you collected from my sin
and this is for your lonesome tears i never dried
this is for you hanging in in the hope that it never dies
and baby i’m beside you - you run from the river
when it long ran over you
this is for you waiting up though the call never came
for the milk of human kindnesses you collected from our dream
and this is for your lonesome tears i never dried
this is for you hanging in in the hope that it never died
and baby i’m beside you - you run from the river
when it long ran over you
and now i’m running here beside you
and now i’m running here beside you
this is for the traveller on a blinding desert road
may good fortune smile upon you and may love be your only load
and this is for the only one who could quell my burning rage
to anyone whose been a broken man and anyone seen better days
baby i’m beside you
and now i’m running here beside you
and now i’m running here beside you

I don't have anything better, and I don't haven anything more.

We love you Coasters
Sandra said…
That's beautiful, anonymous. Thank you again to the readers and commenters who have supported the miners, the families, Greymouth.

My job is not to be consumed by grief forever, but to find ways of contributing to my local community, to mend a torn fabric in the months and years to come.

Popular posts from this blog

McCalls 7288 & altered Style Arc Barb pants

Livingstone daisies

Heartburn & Paris Etc