Still Here

After a fabulous weekend, I am back in blur land. Once upon a time I thought life post children was about a) going out to paid work OR b) staying home and looking after children. Then, when reality hit when I went back to work, I realised that going out to paid work does not mean that the home stuff is magically done by someone else. It means that the other stuff has to get done round the edges. I cannot pretend that I enjoy running three loads of washing through in the evening and washing the toilet and porch floors while FH reads to the children and washes the dishes. But I have experienced living in a home (my own) that is chaotic beyond any reasonable functioning level, and therefore I accept that some evening housework is my reality. Just as soon as I can create a window in our budget, I'll be on the lookout for a cleaner.

Still, life is beautiful in many other ways. I read Still Here by Linda Grant in the weekend. She is one of my current trilogy of favourite authors, up there with Andrea Levy and Geraldine Brooks. I didn't really want to leave Alix Rebick's world, her stories from Liverpool and Dresden and the stories of the bloke from Chicago. It is one of several books I've enjoyed lately which have made Jewish life and histories central to the narrative. When we lived in Gants Hill on the edge of East London, the Jewish friends we made opened a window into another a culture I'd known nothing about previously. I'm now hungry to read everything of Linda Grant's just as I was with Andrea Levy. I first discovered Linda Grant with The Clothes on Their Backs which is fabulous.



We went up to the Fox River market on Sunday. It runs on or near Waitangi Day each year and is wonderful. I discovered a fried bread stall this time and despite all that I understand about gluten and carb-intensive food, I have a longing to make this stuff myself.
We stopped at Punakaikai on the way home. How could life be anything but wonderful with scenery like this so close?

I found a link to an article on an upcoming feature on 20/20 on fat activism via The Lady Garden and thought I would share it here. Although we don't have a telly, I'm sure it will fill an important role in spreading the ideas and messages of fat activism in a New Zealand context, which has to be a good thing.

Comments

Ruth said…
Thanks for the recommendation of Linda Grant, Sandra. I've added "Still Here" to my library reservations.

Popular posts from this blog

McCalls 7288 & altered Style Arc Barb pants

Livingstone daisies

Heartburn & Paris Etc