Osso bucco

Such a flash term. Italian I believe. I branched out into cooking shin beef with this recipe today. The attraction of cooking with sawn across rounds of shin beef (upper part of a cattle beast's leg) was that the bone marrow which becomes available as it cooks is so nutritious. Turns out it is tasty too.

I adapted from Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's instructions in his book Meat.
Brown six rounds of shin beef in olive oil. Put into casserole dish. Then in same oil, sautee 2 chopped carrots, 3 chopped cloves of garlic, a chopped celery stick, 2 chopped onions and some chopped mushrooms. Then add a tin of chopped tomatoes and a big slug of red wine (I love the total decadence of cooking with wine. A shame that the budget doesn't allow for doing it nearly as often as I would prefer) and bubble for a few minutes. Tip all that into the casserole dish with some fresh herbs (bay leaves,thyme and oregano) and put in the oven for two hours on 140 celsius. Six rounds would actually feed a lot of people - six for a sumptuous meal and lots more if you chop it up before you serve. We have leftovers which I shall snaffle tomorrow.

It tasted wonderful. Next time I will do it in the slow cooker (same starting drill though) and I think the gentler cooking will render the meat more tender. Even the girl who is finally not sick ate it.

I have also made beef stock with bones I bought at the same time as the shin beef (from Jonesy the butcher of course). If I can be organised enough to soak and cook some kidney beans tomorrow, we could be slurping minestrone on Sunday. Another flash Italian word, minestrone.

Fionn who is seven wants to have butter chicken curry tomorrow night. Which is useful as I bought some chickens tonight (dead and plastic wrapped from the supermarket) and tomorrow is Dad and son cooking night. So they can find a recipe and do it themselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

McCalls 7288 & altered Style Arc Barb pants

Livingstone daisies

Heartburn & Paris Etc