The home made car project

Not to make a car at home, not at all. But our trusty Nissan Sentra, which is 21 years old and has provided us an excellent service for the last six years, is starting to protest. It's leaking oil and consuming water and got rather hot and stinky on the way home from Nelson to the point that we turned round and went back to Wakefield to get it checked out. It will likely putter round town for a while yet, but in terms of travelling over the hills to leave the West Coast in any direction, it is losing reliability.

We don't do car credit in our family. Borrowing money, paying interest on something which depreciates, is a craziness we have thus far avoided and we want it to stay that way. So how to save more money? To make all food at home. I don't mean absolutely everything from scratch but I do mean no takeaways and no bought lunches. We've done it before and we can do it again. Starting this project in the holidays helps get a bit of organisation going. Until it drives me and you completely insane, I am going to log what we eat each day and see if it keeps me focused. Commentary is likely to be random and inconsistent.

Thursday 19 April:
breakfast: poached eggs on toast. FH cooked it. Everyone ate it. Eggs from our own chooks. Altogether virtuous. Once upon a time I used to make the bread for it as well. That was a long time ago and unlikely to be repeated.

lunch: Pete's potato cake, raw carrots and hummous. The potato cake was fine, though not quite as tasty as would be perfect. It is my first attempt at this Annabel Langbein recipe. Home made hummous (chickpeas from a can). We took FH's down to work for him. This needs to be a whole family home made project if we are to save lots of money.

tea/dinner: stir fried veges and rice. Rhubarb and apple crumble with icecream. I added anchovies to the beginning of the veges (onion, garlic, aubergine, zucchini, tomatoes, broccoli) and bacon towards the end. The rhubarb is from our garden, where it grows prolifically without any logical reference to the fact that we hardly eat the stuff. We don't usually have pudding, but as I spent this afternoon burying bokashi in the rhubarb garden, I had to snap quite a bit off so there was room to do/grow anything else. I have a great and easy rhubarb cake recipe but my kids don't eat it.

Other virtuous things: this is my sixth night without a drop of alcohol.

Another virtuous thing is that I dusted this morning. Only because I am rearranging almost everything in the house (yes, still) and now we have a china cabinet with china in it and as of late this morning, it wasn't even dusty china.

Comments

Christopher said…
Do you have a link for the rhubarb cake recipe?

Have quite a bit of rhubarb to use up!

Popular posts from this blog

McCalls 7288 & altered Style Arc Barb pants

Livingstone daisies

Heartburn & Paris Etc